K1 Visa – Requirements For Eligibility
The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen. This allows you to enter the United States. Once it has been issued you are required to marry within 90 days of entry, or you will be required to depart the United States.
In order to apply for the K-1 Visa you must make sure you must meet certain criteria. What do I need to be eligible for the K1 Visa is the question you are probably asking yourself. To be eligible to bring your fiancé(e) to the United States if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a U.S. citizen;
- You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry one another within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s admission to the United States on a K-1 non-immigrant visa;
- You and your fiancé(e) are both legally free to marry (this means you both are legally able to marry in the United States and any previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment);
- You and your fiancé(e) met each other in person at least once within the 2-year period before you file the petition. To request a waiver of this in-person meeting requirement if you can show that meeting in person would: Violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or Result in extreme hardship to you, the U.S. citizen petitioner.
If you are unsure if you are eligible for this type of visa please go to our home page, and send us an email. Please make sure you have a valid email address so we can respond back to you. We will be happy to talk with you about this to ensure you are eligible.
What Are The Next Steps – Moving Forward
When the decision has been made that you meet the requirements you must begin filling out the I-129f form Petition for Alien Fiance(e) Visa. This form will be one of several which you will file for the petition. The I-129f is the initial information form that will give the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service) your information, and your fiance(e)’s information. The information it requires include physical addresses, any children of both parties, past marriages, and other background information.
Along with the I-129f Petition you will be required to submit documents such as photos, phone records, chat records, letters of intent to marry, among other documents to prove to the USCIS that you are in a legitimate relationship. This is very important to the government to prove you are truly both in the relationship for the correct reasons. Many people try to pay people to marry them so that they can get a Green Card to the United States. This is highly illegal.
How Long is the Process?
You can not put a time frame on a process such as this. The process has 3 steps, from the initial petition to the USCIS, to the NVC (National Visa Center), then off to the Embassy/Consulate which is the final step. Each step of the way they are going over all your documents for accuracy, performing background checks at the highest levels possible, checking the background of your families, employment status, and much more.
My wife and I completed the K1 Visa process in 8 months. The USCIS process took about 4 months. Once it was received at the NVC it takes 30 days, and then it is sent to the Embassy/Consulate which you choose on the I-129f. Once at the Embassy it took 3 months for her to get her interview scheduled, and completed. We started the process August 2018, and my wife arrived in the United States on May 9,2019.
The process was pretty quick for us, but I know people that are still waiting on the USCIS to complete their petition. Several people I have spoken with say it took anywhere from one to two years before they were able to get the final visa. There are many reasons this could happen. The petition was lost at the USCIS. Yes this is a possibility. That is why when you submit your petition you follow up on it frequently. You also have to ensure you make copies so that if your petition is lost you have copies to send to them once requested. Other reasons that your petition can take so long are:
- Request for Evidence (RFE) – You did not send enough evidence that showed enough proof of relationship. They are very specific what they are looking for if they send you an RFE. Sometimes this could be a missing letter of intent, or not enough photos.
- Background Check – This happens when something comes back in the background check for either you or your fiance(e). It is very important to divulge everything. Anything from a criminal record to someone in your family having done something illegal can show up.
- Country of Origin – This plays a big part in how long the process takes. Most countries are safe, but our government has put restrictions on certain countries. With the threat of terrorism on the rise, the United States takes this part very seriously. Terrorism is not the only reason it can cause a delay. There are several countries labeled for their high rates of scamming in order to come to the United States for a Green Card.
Why Choose K1 Visa Guru?
Here at K1 Visa Guru, we strive to provide you with professional, and honest service. We understand the process, and how stressful it can be. The documents can be confusing, filling them out can be stressful, gathering the documents can get confusing to ensure you have everything you need to be successful. My wife and I want to see you succeed with as little stress as possible throughout the process. This time should be an exciting time for you and your fiance(e). Being thousands of miles apart can cause patience to wear thin trying to gather all the documents you need. We will keep you organized, and on task. You can enjoy the excitement when you sign the documents, and mail them in with your payment.
The worst part of the process is the waiting for a response. We will be there every step of the way to keep you focused on the end goal. You can reach out to us anytime to inquire about the petition. We will be glad to assist you with calming your nerves while you wait for your first letter from USCIS. Throughout each step we will be there to give you a personal touch to the process, and help you understand each step from the first time you send in your petition to what to expect during the interview process. Once you are approved we will celebrate with your when we get word your fiance(e) has arrived in the United States to start an amazing life. We look forward to celebrating your success of completing the K1 Visa Process.
Please leave your comments/questions here at the bottom of the page. We will love to hear your stories or answer your questions. We would love for you to use the social media buttons to share with your friends or others you think our content will help. Thanks for taking the time to visit our site, we hope our content has helped you.